Things To Do When You're Feeling Down



We all have those days were we are feeling down. Whether it is over school, relationships are if you're just having one of those days, we all need cheering up from time to time, so for todays post I thought I would share what I do when I need to cheer myself up.

1. Read a book Sometimes when I'm feeling down the only thing that will help me is cuddling up with a good book and escaping into another world. If I'm feeling particularly sorry for myself I love to choose a kids book. Call it childish or immature, but there's just something about reading the stories I loved as a child that really helps to cheer me up.

2. Binge watch your favourite tv show Sometimes I'm just not in the mood (aka too lazy) to read, and on those occasions I instead switch to binge watching my favourite tv shows. Netflix has definitely made this so much easier for me to do since I no longer have to get up and switch disks every three or four episodes.

3. Go for a walk You could actually do any form of exercise, but generally when I'm feeling a bit down I like to go for a walk around the countryside. Sometimes I go by myself, and other times I'll bring my dog with me, but either way the combination of fresh air and pretty surroundings very rarely fail to help clear my mind and bring a smile to my face.

4. Talk to a friend Sometimes the worst thing we can do when we're in a bad mood is lock ourselves away from the outside world. I'm not saying this is always the case, but a lot of times I find talking to my friends instantly puts me into a good mood. Even if we're not talking about anything particularly groundbreaking, a simple five minute conversation can help to remind me that my life isn't in fact in bad as I might have thought. So the next time you're feeling down, try to visit or even just ring a friend.

5. Tidy your room Ok, ok. I know what you're thinking. I'm in a bad mood and you want me to do chores? But if you're anything like me then I promise this will help. I know that for myself I always get into moods much easier when my room is a mess since I hate clutter and I definitely find tidying to be therapeutic. If my room is already tidy then I'll instead sometimes go clean the kitchen. As the saying goes: tidy home, tidy mind.

6. Listen to music It's up to you what music you want to listen to, but generally I stick to the upbeat and cheesy tunes when I'm looking to cheer myself up. Recently I've been loving the '90s R&B Anthems' playlist on Spotify. Its the perfect combination of upbeat tunes and powerful ballads to get me dancing and make me feel a lot better.

7. Sit down with a cup of tea and a treat In particular I love to do this when I'm reading a book or watching tv. There's very little that a cup of tea won't fix; add in a treat (particularly the sugary kind) and all should be good again.

8. Let yourself wallow While it can be good to distract ourselves, there are times when we just need to give in to the sadness and wallow. In times like this, we should turn to everybody's favourite tv mum Lorelai for advice: "get back in your pajamas, go to bed, eat nothing but gallons of ice cream and tons of pizza, don’t take a shower or shave your legs or put on any kind of make up at all and just sit in the dark and watch a really sad movie and have a good long cry and just wallow. You need to wallow" (anybody else SUPER excited for the new episodes?).

What do you like to do when you're feeling down? Let me know in the comments.

No comments :

Post a Comment